Sit down with a cup of coffee and start your day with me :)

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Day Fourteen

Lately I have been trying to make sure that my kids are eating healthier. My sister is a very healthy person and more of a motivation to me than she knows. I want to get the entire family healthy and there is never a better time to start than now. I began with the decision to pack the kids lunches this year. I figured that I was the best judge of what was going into their bodies. It began with me being fairly lax and just packing traditional lunches of sandwiches and various snacks. I've been talking to a friend of mine who plans on being a dietician and who happens to be gorgeous and thin. Not a bad place to start of you ask me. She gave me a few great suggestions and it has been up to me to make these changes. So I took her tips and googled some more. Today as I was looking around I was seeing tons of great ideas for healthy snacks and lunches. I knew I couldn't remember them all so I began writing them down. I then got to thinking about how much my kids like looking at the lunch menu to know what they would be having the next day. My little brain got to thinking. I could make a healthy menu that the kids could help with and they could choose what they ate for the week. Not only did this sound great but it involved them and would be teaching them healthy habits. I tend to prefer things that have a more artsy flair to them so I began thinking about how I could so this. I decided to make little cards that had various snacks and lunches on them. Then I got a cork board and put my creation together. There is a snack side for after school and a lunch side for what they can take. I simply put then on the cork board and allow the kids to come up with their own menu.
We then pin the choices on the calander for the week and voila.
 They have their own menu. Plus I get to plan ahead and don't have to stumble around in the morning trying to figure out what to make. I am going to try and get some pics up here to show you guys. I am so proud and they love it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment